Wednesday, June 28, 2006

long live the king

did you know Thailand has the longest reigning living monarch? the country just pulled out all the stops to celebrate the 60th anniversary of his reign...
he's a huge part of life here -- a picture of him has a prominent place in every business and home... at the beginning of movies, the audience stands to pay homage to him... & every once in a while in the supermarket, a special song plays and everyone just stops to think good thoughts of him... it's even punishable by law to say anything bad about him... this doesn't seem to be a problem though, since from everything we've heard, he's a really great guy...
here's a link if you are interested in learning more about His Majesty King Bhumibol:
http://www.bangkokpost.com/60yrsthrone/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember, when I was in Chiang Mai, we had to stand and pay homage to the king at the movie theater. They should tons and tons of pictures of him, from childhood on up. It was neat. From what I've heard, as well, he seems to be a good king.